Saturday 30 April 2011

Nettles in My Paddock


Today we have been doing some much needed field maintenance, and what better place to start than the weeds, as you can see the paddock is full of weeds but lots of these weeds are stinging nettles, and so they don’t have to go to waste.




So here they are stinging nettles, horrible plants with seemingly little use to us, or at least when they are like this. But they can become a tasty treat, for your horse or pony but I wouldn’t recommend you try them like this.




Ok, so just cut the whole patch of nettles down, and then leave them to wilt, when we cut some of our stinging nettles they were ready for the horses and ponies to eat in the same day we cut them.






After the nettles have wilted your equines can dig in. So there you go a tasty treat for your equine, and they aren’t just a treat they are quite good for horses and ponies as they have a lot of iron in them.



Thank you all for your comments on my last post.

Luckily all the horses and ponies are being very well behaved now, I guess it was just a one off, and I am not complaining just so long as they all stay well behaved. You are right Michelle I should really try lunging them more.


Hello and welcome to my blog C and C Antiques and Animals. Thank you I too like the fence just a shame it’s not post and rail.









4 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Your horses would love it around our place..we have stinging nettles everywhere. The people up the road make a tasty (they say) soup from them, apparently they are a tonic. I haven't tried the recipe they gave us yet (don't have the nerve to).

Have a wonderful weekend.

RDA Pony Tales said...

My friends horse will eat nettles before they are cut but it is a much nicer treat to do what you have done. Niko seems to be really enjoying them!
Kind regards, Abby

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

that is interesting, we don't feed our horses stinging nettles here. now i need to google them! :)

allhorsestuff said...

Wow...we have blackberry brambles, like you have nettles!
Looks to be a delicacy for some!
My husband and me take"freeze dried nettles"for allergies. Works excellently!