Thursday 4 August 2011

Good News Bad News


The other day I arrived at the paddock to be faced with a completely lame Niko. Poor chap was hobbling around like an old man, so obviously he had the day off we’ve checked him over and can’t find anything so it isn’t all that bad and today he has been a lot better, and walking around fine but better to be safe than sorry so he has had today off as well.



While Niko has been off work I’ve had more time to do things like poo pick and some other stuff that I will get to in a bit. I managed to clear all the muck out of two sections of the paddock, now I just have one left, sadly it’s the worst one, but before I go on to that one I want to cut down some of the weeds in the other two.



Anyway on to that other stuff. I have washed Tipper’s mane and forelock with baby cradle cap shampoo, he had a bit of dead skin and cradle cap shampoo is a great way to keep his mane and forelock in good condition. On a less pleasant note I have also cleaned Murphy’s sheath, he was not good about it. As he is only small it’s hard to get to his sheath and be out of the way if he decides to kick, and as a result I was kicked twice, not much fun.



Today they are all just sheltering from the rain and only coming out to eat, and who can blame them it has been such bad weather here. I am hoping Niko will be sound tomorrow, but if this rain keeps up I don’t think I will be riding anyway.

Now I must stop rambling.







5 comments:

Sherri B. said...

Poor Niko. I wonder what happened to him?...Now that we know Tipper isn't the angel we thought he was, could he have had something to do with the lameness!!??

Mary said...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the farrier visit, I hope not. Cleaning of the privates is no fun, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Not that it is in anyway OK but I can't really blame Murphy for not really appreciating your good intentions. I hope you are not hurt too bad.

Edward said...

Thank you for your comments

Sherri, no I don’t think Tipper did it he absolutely loves Niko and has never hurt him that I have see, I think Niko did it to himself when he was rolling, probably just pulled a muscle.

Mary, nope nothing to do with him, I watched him work on all the horses hooves and he didn’t do anything that could course lameness, I do understand Murphy kicking me he wasn’t to know I was trying to help, I am ok Murphy doesn’t kick hard, luckily for me.

allhorsestuff said...

Ooops, I thought Nino had lost a shoe...last post. Maybe he twisted on slippery grounds..sometimes after it rains, they discover the ground are not ad solid , the hard way.

Man, ive never had to do a sheath...but I think is do it when the vet was doing teeth, if they were sedated! Glad his kicks were not harmful to you.

Edward said...

Thanks for commenting and reading back though some of my older posts, it is much appreciated.

KK, its ok that you thought he had lost a shoe last post, I found your shoe talk very interesting. When I was looking for a horse I was advised to buy a mare but at the time I didn’t really know why, now I know why, sheath cleaning is unpleasant to say the least.