Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Prophet’s Thumbprint


Tipper may look like just a normal horse, but he is far more than that, Tipper bears a thumbprint in his neck now what does that mean you say well here is a story about it.

By Ilil Arbel, Ph.D.

“The hot desert wind blew against the tent, driving the dust inside. Fatima walked softly in, carrying an earthenware jug full of cold water, and handed it to the Prophet. "Please, stop tormenting yourself, Mohammed," she said, "drink some water!"

"I will drink when the test is over, and the horses can drink, too. I cannot drink knowing they are thirsty," said the Prophet to his daughter.

"I do not understand this test, nor do I like it," said Fatima angrily. "Depriving the horses from drinking for three full days is cruel. I cannot believe you would do it, a man who loves animals better than himself!"

"I must. Allah commanded me -- would you have me disobey God? The spread of Islam depends greatly on the loyalty and strength of our horses. The best of these horses, said Allah, will be honored till the end of time... But it is the evening of the third day now, so let us go to the horses and conduct the test."

He took a horn that hung at the tent’s entrance, and walked toward an enclosure where about a hundred horses were confined, a little distance from the water hole of the oasis. The horses looked reproachfully at their beloved master as he quickly opened the gate. Tormented by thirst, the horses galloped to the water hole, but before they could reach it, Mohammed raised the horn to his lips and sounded the call for war.

The horses ignored it. They were so thirsty that perhaps they couldn’t even hear it, and went on galloping toward the water. But not all of them. Five mares stopped. Without hesitation, they turned around and returned to Mohammed, ready to do whatever was required of them.

The Prophet stroked their silky manes, tears in his eyes. He led them to the water and envisioned the glorious future as they drank. He knew that these mares would foal the finest of Arab horses, the only horses of pure blood, the horses that would help bring Islam to every corner of the Earth.”


The five mares were kept for breeding and it is said that the prophet pressed his thumb in their necks marking them with his thumbprint. A horse with the prophet’s thumbprint is said to come from the bloodline of horses that belonged to the prophet Mohammed, it is said that a horse with the prophet’s thumbprint should be treasured and treated with great respect, and are thought to be lucky.



7 comments:

Sherri B. said...

I would say that Tipper is most certainly lucky to have come to live with you!

Debi said...

I knew there was something about that Tipper that was special and different. You had better be good to that horse Edward! Interesting story. Debi

Edward said...

Thank you both for your comments.

Sherri, I think he is a lot happier here, and to be honest I think he was probably facing the meat man if we hadn’t bought him, so he seems pretty lucky, lets hope he sees it that why too.

Debi, don’t worry I have every intention of being good to that horse, thumbprint or not he is a nice horse and deserves a lot of love and care.

Anonymous said...

I have a horse with a thumbprint, he's named Soverign Sovenir and yes I agree they special, I enjoy spending time with him.

tkhyatt said...

My Tennessee Walking Horse Stormy has this mark also. He is indeed a special horse who will carry his rider forever. I have seen many other horses give out on the trail and Stormy returns to the stable just as fresh as he starts out! A very spirited yet gentle boy, he will forever be my favorite horse!

Austin12345 said...

I have a horse aswell with the prophets thumbprint I didn’t know what the thumbprint meant until I read this thank you

Mubashir said...

Hi All!
There is one more thing about horses with Prophet thumbprint. They don’t carry bad smell. I have seen one here in Pakistan and he was neat. Thoughbred and Arabic Mix.
Whats ur rxperiences