Wednesday 6 July 2011

The Horse’s Skeleton


The horse’s skeleton typically has 205 bones, but I won’t be going through all of them as I think you may get a bit bored, so I will just be telling you some things about the horses skeleton I think you might find interesting. First of all let’s start with a few of the bone names, coffin bone, nasal bone, cranium, and the mandible, take sometime and have a look at the skeleton yourself. (Click to enlarge.)



Now time for some facts, some Arabian horses have five lumber vertebrae instead of the normal six, and seventeen pairs of ribs instead of the eighteen that is normally seen in other horses, out of the 205 bones in a horses skeleton 80 of them are located in its legs. Anyway there is a lot about the horse’s skeleton but that will have to wait for another post, hope I didn’t bore you.




3 comments:

Sherri B. said...

That is very interesting..I wonder why some Arabian horses have only five?

ted and bunny said...

hi there- yes, I can see quite clearly that you're following my blog now with no problem- thanks so much!
I liked your post about tack cleaning- yuck, how I hate it!
x

Edward said...

Thanks for the comments

Sherri, I really don’t know why Arabian horses have a different amount of bones, I know it affects their tail carriage but I don’t know why they have the different amount, I haven’t been able to find out.

Ted and Bunny, oh good that it is all working now, and yes I too hate cleaning some tack it is so time consuming, but sadly must be done.